Monday, May 7, 2012

Ms. Ingram's Blog Post #1 - an example

So, I thought I could write Post #1 along with you, to provide an example of a thorough blog post and to let y'all get to know me as I get to know you.

I was a college freshman 11 years ago, at Appalachian State. I remember feeling many, many emotions. I was anxious about college classes, unsure of whether or not I was prepared. How hard will the classes be? Will the professors be impersonal and uncaring? I also wasn't sure I wanted to be in college. Everyone told me I had to go to college, that there wasn't really a choice, but I thought that I maybe just wanted to work and make money and get my own place. I was also a bit sad about leaving my parents; I wasn't so much sad for myself, but I felt bad that my mom cried when they left me at my dorm room for the first time. In hindsight, I can tell you that college was the best decision I ever made. By midterm of my first semester, I had figured out that I liked college and that it was worth my time and energy - and my parents' money. I wasn't sure what my major was yet, but that didn't matter because college isn't just about the end result--the degree, the prospective careers--rather, it's about the experience, about learning and growing and being stretched out of your comfort zone, and about becoming a better person.

I didn't get an opportunity to take any freshman seminar-like classes or to be involved with anything like UTOP, so I kind of had to "go it alone." I'm really excited for all of you to be here, getting a head start. On my list of "good stuff" right now, that is definitely at the top:
-new UTOP students, embarking on their college careers!
-I just had 8 weeks off of work, wahoo!! (come ON, that is just awesome)
-it's summer and I can go to the pool
-my summer garden, and my hanging basket of marigolds
-letting my cats outside to sunbathe
-summer fruit and frozen yogurt
-going to Kure beach with Elizabeth
-having lots of free time to read and write (during these past 8 weeks)
-going to the mountains to visit Sarah
-yoga

My "stuff that I'm anxious about" list is much shorter:
-moving offices
-turning 30

When I was in your shoes 11 years ago, this last list was much longer b/c of all the unknowns. So, growing up isn't all bad. (:  But, back to my college life...at first I was a Hotel & Restaurant Management major. That changed after I realized I didn't like business classes or economics. I eventually became a middle grades education major, which was definitely the right choice: it was a small program (about 30 students in my graduating cohort), and I got to take lots of English and history classes. Plus, I really enjoyed my student teaching, and this all led me to apply to grad school and--long story short--to this job that I have today, which is my dream job!

As far as something interesting about me: I've lived in 3 very different states -- NY, TX, and NC. NC is my favorite.

-Ms. Ingram

No comments:

Post a Comment